Passport(s) & Visa(s) Services

Who Qualifies for a Green Card (Permanent Residence)
A green card identifies its holder as a U.S. permanent resident, with rights to enter, exit, work, and live here for their entire life. But before you think about applying, make sure you're eligible under one of the following categories, such as a close relative of a U.S. citizen, a worker with a job offer, or a refugee or asylee. You might also be eligible for a green card under the diversity visa lottery, or based on having lived in the United States for many years.

1. Immediate Relatives of U.S. Citizens
Immediate relatives include:

·spouses of U.S. citizens, including recent widows and widowers
·unmarried people under age 21 with at least one U.S. citizen parent
·parents of U.S. citizens, if the U.S. citizen child is at least age 21
·stepchildren and stepparents of U.S. citizens, if the marriage creating the stepparent/stepchild relationship took place before the child's 18th birthday, and
·adopted children of U.S, if the adoption took place before the child reached age 16.

What is an Acceptance Agent?

Acceptance agents are a lot like notaries. They are authorized by the government to witness the signing of the necessary documentation to process your passport. Acceptance agents can be found at many post offices. To find an acceptance agent near you, click here:

I don't have an Official Copy of U.S. Birth Certificate, do I need one?

Yes, you will need an official copy of your birth certificate (with the raised state seal) in order to process your passport. Your local state office should have your birth certificate on file.

Otherwise, the National Center for Health Center Statistics may be able to help in locating your birth certificate

How many years is my passport valid?

Your passport is valid for 10 years, if you were at least 16 when it was issued; otherwise it is only valid for 5 years.

Note: You can usually find the necessary passport documents and take your passport photos at an acceptance agent location.

My passport was lost or stolen. How do I get a new one?

We can help you get a new passport. Just send us a completed application, required documents, and a fee and we will send you a new passport, along with any original documentation you have sent us. Click here for instructions.

What do I do if my passport has been lost, stolen or mutilated?

You will have to fill out a DS-64, indicating that your passport was lost, stolen or mutilated. Be sure to bring new passport photos and official copy of your birth certificate to the acceptance agent.
Note: Many acceptance agents have the capacity to take a passport photo.

Do I need a passport to travel to Mexico or Canada?

As of December 31, 2006 the U.S. State Department will require every U.S. citizen to possess a valid passport to travel by air or sea to Mexico and Canada. As of December 31, 2007 those crossing the borders by land will also need to have a passport. Birth certificates and a form of identification will no longer be allowed.

Note: Because of the recent tightened security, Passport recommends possessing a passport (especially when traveling by air or sea).
How are passport photos different from regular photos?

There are many requirements when taking a passport photo. You should not risk having your passport processing be delayed because of your passport photo. It is best to have an official photo taken. Many post offices can provide this service for you.

How old must you be to possess a passport?

All U.S. citizens (including infants) must possess their own valid passport when traveling internationally. Parents may sign for a child who is too young to sign their own name by signing their name and their relationship to the child. Only a mother, father or legal guardian can fill out, sign and submit passport documentation for children under 13. Remember that the child must be present at the passport acceptance agent location with current ID.

What is passport authorization note?

A signed passport authorization allows Passport to represent you at the Passport Agency and process your passport documents.

If my name has changed, do I need a new passport?

Yes, your current name must appear on your passport in order to travel internationally. You must fill out the Passport Amendment Application (Form DS-19). Be sure to have an official copy of your marriage or divorce license with you. If you can not find an official copy, click here:

Where are Visas processed?

Visas are processed and issued by Embassies and Consulates. Passport will submit the necessary documentation on your behalf to the appropriate Consulate or Embassy. Please call our office for specific information on processing your visa documentation.

Do I need to send my physical passport when applying for a visa?

Yes, in most cases your visa is stamped directly into your passport in the visa section of your passport. You will need a full page for the visa stamp. If you do not have available space in your passport, you will need to have additional pages added by the Passport Agency. This could lengthen the time it takes to obtain a visa.